MISRA Discussion Forums

Full Version: semantic type checks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It is written in the misra document that the operands for > must be unsigned. In my humble opinion, you are missing something. Semantic type checks are not particularly safe, I claim they are dangerous.

Sanitizers, static analyzers and compilers are checking that the operands are not negative. By following this MISRA advice, these checks are "disabled".

Simple example code:
Code:
int32_t foo(void)
{
    int32_t x = -1;
    return x >> 3;
}

This is UB so the static analyzers/compilers/sanitizers will write a warning. For instance 1 tool writes:
Shifting a negative value is technically undefined behaviour

If MISRA is enforced then the operand must be casted to unsigned somewhere, the developer might change it to:
Code:
int32_t foo(void)
{
    int32_t x = -1;
    return (uint32_t)x >> 3;
}

Now the tools don't complain. The bug is hidden.

To help prevent some such damage, I have thought about a rule that makes such casts illegal, when there is loss of precision or loss of sign in explicit casts. But that is used by intention sometimes, as far as I know, so it might be noisy.
Note: The MISRA-C 2012 guidelines do not tell you to "add the cast". Without the cast the user would definitely get a MISRA C violation and possibly a compiler warning. In both cases the user might then choose to add a cast to remove the warning.

In adding a cast the user has signified that he has considered what happens when the cast is applied.

Aside: The example has a 10.3 violation between the return type of uint32_t and the expected type of int32_t.