MISRA Discussion Forums

Full Version: Issues covered by rule 3.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

As I understand it, rule 3.1 is a "catch all" rule that addresses all of the implementation-defined behaviour not addressed by the other rules. However, MISRA-C:2004 does not explicitly list all of those issues, so it is not possible to tell at a glance exactly what falls under rule 3.1. This creates some difficulty determining the extent to which our static analysis software enforces the MISRA rules, and therefore also when enforcing the delta with manual review.

I could draw up a list of those issues using MISRA-C:2004 Appendix G as a guide to determining which of the issues in ISO/IEC 9899:1990 Appendix G are addressed by other rules, and seeing what is left. I could do this, but it is not a 5-minute exercise (for me) and I suspect that this work has already been done many times before now.

Has a list like that been published on the web anywhere? I've tried googling for it, but to no avail.

Kind regards
Michael
MISRA has not produced a list of these issues and we are not aware that anyone else has.

Given that a new version of the MISRA C Guidelines is due to be published soon, it is unlikely that MISRA will be able to devote any effort to developing the list for MISRA C:2004.