MISRA Discussion Forums
writing a MISRA-C:2004 tutorial - Printable Version

+- MISRA Discussion Forums (https://forum.misra.org.uk)
+-- Forum: MISRA C (https://forum.misra.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.misra.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: writing a MISRA-C:2004 tutorial (/showthread.php?tid=242)

writing a MISRA-C:2004 tutorial - Manni - 19-04-2006

Hi

I want to start writing a helping document and tutorial about MISRA-C:2004 rules. The document should contain the following points.

1. Reasons for specific MISRA-C rules. (Why is it important to observe the rule)
2. Howto handle specific rules
3. Howto conceive specific rules
4. Exampels for breaches of the specific rules, and how to solve it. (with example, too)

Are there any good sources and publications, which helping to write such a tutorial?

best regards,
Manni

EDIT:
I know that there are explanations like this in miscra-c rules included. But I mean more comprehensive explanation.

Re: writing a MISRA-C:2004 tutorial - phaedsys - 20-04-2006

Manni Wrote:Hi

I want to start writing a helping document and tutorial about MISRA-C:2004 rules. The document should contain the following points.

1. Reasons for specific MISRA-C rules. (Why is it important to observe the rule)
2. Howto handle specific rules
3. Howto conceive specific rules
4. Exampels for breaches of the specific rules, and how to solve it. (with example, too)

Are there any good sources and publications, which helping to write such a tutorial?

best regards,
Manni

EDIT:
I know that there are explanations like this in miscra-c rules included. But I mean more comprehensive explanation.
Whilst this sounds like a good idea the only people who could write such a document are the MISRA C team.

The source documentation you would need is MISRA c:2004 , the TC (which we are still writing), the example suite (which we are still writing) , access to the MISRA C team to explain anything you have a query on and a complete understanding of all the discussions on this forum which are on going and a copy of MIStRAy-C.

The final problem is that MISRA C is protected by copy write and trade marks. To publish a commentary on MISRA C would probably require permission from MIRA.

The document you want to write would be out of date as soon as the MISRA team published a clarification on this forum or re-issued the TC. You would also need continual clarification and inupt fromthe MISRA-c team. Also it would be one persons view. The MISRA team are 8 people with over 200 years relevant experience and everything is discussed in the group.

In short the document you are trying to write can only really be produced by the MISRA C team, which in effect is what the TC is.

- Hammer - 20-04-2006

Quote:the TC (which we are still writing), the example suite (which we are still writing)

Is there any idea when these will be completed?

Re: - phaedsys - 20-04-2006

Hammer Wrote:
Quote:the TC (which we are still writing), the example suite (which we are still writing)

Is there any idea when these will be completed?

We are working on the example suite at the moment. Hopefully that will be out "later in the year" which is my personal view and not an Official Comment.

The TC will probably come out as a living document after we get it to a "reasonable" size. Until then clarifications are opn this forum. the Tc will effectivly be the replies on this forum plus anything else we find when doing the example suite.

These are my personal views and not those of the MISRA C team, MISRA or MIRA. Remmember I was the person who said "MISRA C++? Not in my life time....." :-)

Re: writing a MISRA-C:2004 tutorial - Manni - 20-04-2006

phaedsys Wrote:Whilst this sounds like a good idea the only people who could write such a document are the MISRA C team.

The source documentation you would need is MISRA c:2004 , the TC (which we are still writing), the example suite (which we are still writing) , access to the MISRA C team to explain anything you have a query on and a complete understanding of all the discussions on this forum which are on going and a copy of MIStRAy-C.

The final problem is that MISRA C is protected by copy write and trade marks. To publish a commentary on MISRA C would probably require permission from MIRA.

The document you want to write would be out of date as soon as the MISRA team published a clarification on this forum or re-issued the TC. You would also need continual clarification and inupt fromthe MISRA-c team. Also it would be one persons view. The MISRA team are 8 people with over 200 years relevant experience and everything is discussed in the group.

In short the document you are trying to write can only really be produced by the MISRA C team, which in effect is what the TC is.

What means "TC"?

The document I want to write is for a diploma thesis, which I work on in a company in germany. It should be a help for the software engineers here, who work with MISRA-C. I write it down in german, for very easy understanding.

I can't wait for any new documents of MISRA, like TC or the example suite, because I want to complete my diploma thesis. So I think, I must do it by myself.

I think there is no way for a student to get access to the work of the helping documents the MISRA team is working on? Perhaps I could be of help with ideas and making examples, because I do the same things and do it together with the software engineers in my company.

Now I am a little bit disappointed. I wanted to write gladly a diploma thesis, which will be practically used when it is done. But if a few months later MISRAs own helping documents appear, my work perhaps is in vain. If it is possibile to help at the development of the documents, I would be grateful for your information.

best regards,
Manni

Re: writing a MISRA-C:2004 tutorial - phaedsys - 21-04-2006

Quote:What means \"TC\"?

Technical Corrigendum

This is something like an errata or additional techical comments. It will contain clarifications from both questions asked here and anything else the team find whilst doing the example suite.

Quote:The document I want to write is for a diploma thesis, which I work on in a company in germany. It should be a help for the software engineers here, who work with MISRA-C.

You may write anything you like for a diploma or internal company documentation.

Quote:I write it down in german, for very easy understanding.

Only in Germany :-) I think there is a German version of MISRA C somwhere.

Quote:I can't wait for any new documents of MISRA, like TC or the example suite, because I want to complete my diploma thesis. So I think, I must do it by myself.

Then anything you write may be out of date before you finish it. We expect to have the first version of the TC in a few months.

However this is the same with ANY book or guide on any programming language. C, C++, C# etc are all developing and changing for C and C++ thare are lots of defect reports and small changes all the time. There have been major updates to both C and C++ inthe last couple of years. Yet there are many books on C , C++ etc

Quote:I think there is no way for a student to get access to the work of the helping documents the MISRA team is working on? Perhaps I could be of help with ideas and making examples, because I do the same things and do it together with the software engineers in my company

The MISRA team is a closed, stable and mature team and has developed a good way of working. It has a wide range of expertise. It can work faster by limiting the size of the team. Larger teams tend to work a lot slower.

It is unlikely that any documents would be released early to anyone except at review points. These reviews are controled and you could not publish information in them . Also things change due to the feed back.

The problem is that things change during development. Even if you did have access I do not think you would not be able to publish anything before the MISRA team does. Also the MISRA teams (and reviewers) are bound by contract to stop early release of thigs that might change or be taken out of context.

Quote:Now I am a little bit disappointed. I wanted to write gladly a diploma thesis, which will be practically used when it is done. But if a few months later MISRAs own helping documents appear, my work perhaps is in vain. If it is possibile to help at the development of the documents, I would be grateful for your information.
best regards,Manni

You can still write a diploma thesis on MISRA C. A thesis is, of course, a snapshot at a single point in time. You can also ask questions here and get answers.

You can also write a company document based on MISRA C. Many people do write company guidelines based on MISRA C. That is the whole idea. For company guidelines you have to take a view on how often you want to update them.

There are companies still using MISRA C:1998 this is because they do not want to change mid project and often the tools they have only support MISRA C:1998.

These views are entirley my own and not those of the MISRA C team, MISRA or MIRA. I wil probably be told I have got it all wrong at the mext meeting!

Remember I was the one who said no MISRA C++ in my life time :-)

Re: writing a MISRA-C:2004 tutorial - Manni - 25-04-2006

phaedsys Wrote:

hmm, I don't have heard of a german version before. Where can I get this? Where is "somewhere"? ;-)

Re: writing a MISRA-C:2004 tutorial - phaedsys - 25-04-2006

Manni Wrote:
phaedsys Wrote:

hmm, I don't have heard of a german version before. Where can I get this? Where is "somewhere"? ;-)

I will find out for you. I am not sure if it has been written or someone is doing it now.

Re: writing a MISRA-C:2004 tutorial - Manni - 16-05-2006

phaedsys Wrote:I will find out for you. I am not sure if it has been written or someone is doing it now.

Perhaps you or someone who is reading the forums have heard news about misra-c in german?

- bmerkle - 21-07-2006

There is no german version of MISRA-C AFAIK. (translation or the like)

However there is a subset of the MISRA-C rules produced by the german HIS (Hersteller Initiative Software) in the automotive area.
http://www.automotive-his.de/download/HIS_SubSet_MISRA_C_2.0.pdf
however this document MISRA-C-2004 (and the previous version for MISRA-C-1998) only reference the english rules (which is good IMO).

So the answer is no, i do not think there is a german version/translation of MISRA-C

kind regards,
Bernhard