Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About Appendix H of MISRA C: 2012
Hello all,

I have some questions about Appendix H of MISRA C: 2012.

Appendix H states that C90 id and C99 id are based on C90 and C99 standard. Therefore, I thought there was only one C90 and C99 standard, but the reference lists multiple C90 and C99 standards. Which standard is used to create the table in Appendix H?

Also, C90 and C99 Standard are not assigned numbers such as C90 id and C99 id. How were the C90 id and C99 id numbering decided?
Hi,

they are numbered in the exact order of their appearance in the annex of the respective standard.

Example
MISRA Rule 11.11
C90 (ISO 9899:1990) Id 27
C99 (ISO 9899:1999) Id 23
Text: A pointer is used to call a function whose type is not compatible with the pointed-to type

Obviously, you need access to both ISO documents in order to be able to retrace that.
<t></t>
Unfortunately, the entries in C90 Annex G and C99 Annex J are un-numbered bullet lists, which makes cross-referencing difficult.

This issue is covered in MISRA C:2012 Para 6.10.1, which mentions that the numbering in Annexes is based on the the original C90 and C99 standards, without without any technical corrigenda or amendments being applied. This is because there is no officially-available revision of the C99 Standards which incorporates its Technical Corrigenda.

The MISRA ID numbers are generated by sequentially numbering each of the (un-numbered) bullet points. In C90, some behaviours are mentioned in the text, but not included in Annex G – these are shown with an asterisk in MISRA C’s appendices.

The next version of MISRA C:2012 will include a clarification in Appendx H: For example in the C99 Id bullet point the folowing sentence will be added.
"The number starts from the beginning of section J.2 and does not include subsequent Technical Corrigenda."
Posted by and on behalf of the MISRA C Working Group
Thank you for your quick reply, I could understand the rule.

>> The next version of MISRA C:2012 will include a clarification in Appendx H: For example in the C99 Id bullet point the folowing sentence will be added.

I am very interested in update of the next version.
When is the next version update scheduled?
If possible, can you tell me the main content of the update?
I would appreciate it if you could tell me about future updates.
As per the Announcement, MISRA C:2012 Amendment 2 has been published, which brings C11/C18 into scope.

This can be available from the MISRA website
<r>-----<br/>
Andrew Banks<br/>
Chairman, MISRA C WG<br/>
<B><s></s>Posting in a personal capacity<e></e></B></r>