Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C versus C++
Hi,

We are looking to adopt the MISRA guidelines in our company to improve our coding standards. Most of our existing projects contain both C and C++ source files. We like to use the benefits that C++ offers for writing things like a menu system (user interface), where a well-defined class hierarchy can help with modularising our code. However, it is our opinion that C offers a better solution for medium-speed applications such as an LCD display driver (to actually display our C++ based menu system).

In this case, which MISRA standard should we adopt ? Do we use the MISRA C++:2008 guidelines for both our C++ and C source files or do we check C++ files against this standard and use the MISRA-C:2004 guidelines for our C source code ?

Regards,

Vance
<t></t>
I believe you will have to use the MISRA C++, since you compile the C files on a C++ compiler. MISRA-C : 2004 chapter 3.5 explicitly states that it doesn't cover C++ issues.
Because there are some subtle differences between C and C compiled on a C++ compiler. Some examples:

C++ enforces explicit typecasting:
unsigned char* str = malloc(N); /* ok in C but not in C++ */
unsigned char* str = (void*) malloc(N); /* ok in both languages */

C++ doesn't allow file extensions in library headers, while C requires it. #include instead of #include .
C++ defines NULL as 0, while C can define NULL as 0 or (void*)0.
C++ allows // comments while C doesn't.
C++ will create default constructors etc for struct types, while C will not.

And so on.
<t></t>
I think the original question asked which version of MISRA to use for each project.
Obviously MISRA C++ should be used for C++ code. One can also suggest that MISRA C can be used for the C code, however I believe, in your case, that it won't be long before your C code becomes C++ code and thus one should apply both to the C code.
Ideally, I would suggest that you develop your own standards which include both sets of MISRA rules and also addresses the C/C++ incompatibility issues (these are all detailed in the C++ standard). For example...

Code:
int test( void )
{
    return 2 //* 2 */
    ;
}

... is both legal C and C++ code (although not MISRA compliant!) but will return different results in C90 and C++!

This way one can write C code that can be later ported to C++ without too much heart ache.
I have found that Programming Researches QA-C provides some excellent C/C++ compatibility checks that can also be used as part of your own standards. Other static analysis tools exist but I have limited experience with them.
In my view MISRA should be regarded as a minimum set of requirements for your code. You coding standards can address further issues specifically not covered in MISRA C.
I think Les Hattons 'Safer C' is an essential read for anyone involved in writing ANY software.
<t></t>