Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14.1 There shall be no unreachable code
The wording of 14.1 does not clarify the issue clear enough. I've discussed with several experienced persons and the common of these discussions is, that the questions only can be resolved, if someone ADDS personal interpretations. That cannot be the intension of a rule (text).

Firstly, \"defensive programming\" is not a misra rule. In my opinion this is a severe lack in/on the misra rule set. Although not explicitly defined its used in the rule text of 14.1 and its used in a confusing way: \"Code that can be reached but may never be executed is excluded from the rule (e.g. defensive programming)\".

In my tries to understand this, I refactored this sentence on following part (and nobody out of my discussions with Developers and QA Managers could give me an answer on that):

What is \"code, that can be reached but (may) never be executed\" ?

The provided example does not answer this question, because it shows code that \"exists but never will be reached\".

Maybe it helps to concretesize my intention when I re-word above sentence as follows: \"Is it possible, that code can be reached but not executed ?\"

Thanks in advance

Frank

Messages In This Thread